Monday, June 7, 2010

New Orleans - Our First Real Family Vacation!!

The kids and I have been in Pensacola, Florida visiting Andre for the past week. Andre and I have been dying to go to New Orleans since it's only 3 hours away from here. I made reservations to stay at the Marriott New Orleans on Canal St. In the heart of the French Quarter. When we got there, we checked in and went to our room. This was our hotel room. I liked the artwork hung in the room. After we got settled, we went for a walk to find some creole cooking. We ate at Oceana: Olde Nawlins Cookery. I ordered Barbecue Shrimp and Andre ordered The Taste of New Orleans. It was amazing!!!! We shared each others food. After we left the restaurant, I picked up a Louisiana cookbook. Then we headed to the Audubon Insectarium. It is the largest bug museum in America. The kids really enjoyed it. Andre pet a hissing cockroach. We saw 2 albino alligators and walked through a Japanese Butterfly Garden. Speaking of alligators, Andre ate some later that night at another restaurant (Ronde had a couple bites too..lol)After we left the museum, we headed down the street and went to the Oyster Festival. There was live music and I really felt like I was in New Orleans. It was everything I imagined and more! Andre ordered a bowl of Turtle Soup. He loves trying new foods. Ronde loved the jazzy music. He would close his eyes and dance around. He was so into it.We continued walking around looking at all the gift shops. I picked up some famous New Orleans Pralines. Yumm! AJ loved them too. We were walking around and saw some guys with giant beers so Andre asked them where he could buy one. The weather was very hot and really humid. The kids and I were guzzling bottles of water. We did a lot of walking Saturday and Sunday. We decided to hit the pool to cool off.
It was starting to get dark and we were getting hungry again so we cleaned up and went for another walk to find some where to eat. The next morning, we checked out of the hotel and I wanted to pick up souvenirs. I bought shirts, jewelry, pralines, and ground coffee from a cafe. There was all sorts of street entertainers. From family bands, to a one man band, and lots of psychics. I got my palms read and had a crystal reading. I'm pretty sure it was very well rehearsed but it was really just to have the experience. We also took a walk down the famous Bourbon St. which I quickly realized that it wasn't a place for kids even at noon!
She told me that this wasn't going to be my last child and that I will have 5 kids total. The next 2 would be twin girls. NO THANK YOU!! I'm done! haha. She also said that Andre is my soul mate... I already knew that though.

No comments:

Post a Comment